Monday, June 23, 2014

Zucchini, Zucchini, Squash, Squash, Zucchini, Beans {and tea}

If you were to ask me even 10 years ago my thoughts on zucchini or squash I would have said YUCK.  To this day there are some recipes that would still make me say YUCK.  I am just not fond of the texture of squash and zucchini that are baked or mushy or slimy in a casserole.  I am that way with eggplant also.  I love some fried zucchini and eggplant, but my jeans tell me it is time to look for alternatives to fried since we are getting several zucchini and squash a week from our CSA.  Want to know more about our CSA?? They are awesome, read here.

So  here are a few of the of the dishes we have tried so far.

1) Fried zucchini and squash (self-explanatory and delish!!)

2) Zucchini and squash chips - possibly the hubs fave.  He eats them so fast that I sit there wondering if the 3-4 hours of dehydrating are worth it (ha ha).  I just wash the zucchini and squash, cut off the ends, then throw them in the food processor for a thin slice.  I would say 1/8 inch or smaller, depending on hard I push down when it is slicing.  I lightly coat the dehydrator trays with olive oil spray, then load the trays up as appropriate, with the zucchini and squash.  I then sprinkle some seasonings lightly on the veggies and start the dehydrator.  Typically I use either Lawry's garlic salt, but yesterday I mixed it up with some Mrs. Dash garlic & herb.  Turn on the dehydrator and let it do its thing for a couple of hours.  


That is seriously all that is left of two squash after the hubs "helped" me by taking the chips off the dehydrator and putting them away.  
3) Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread (aka chocolate chip bread, so the kids would eat it) - thank you Paula Deen, that's all I can say.

4) Zucchini pancakes - I altered the recipe found here and will alter it some more.  The hubs, B, and I liked them, A didn't.  However, if you know me very well, you know the thought of eggs sends me over a cliff.  These had too much egg and felt too much like a scrambled egg with zucchini in it for my taste.  I am going to only put in one egg next time.  I also substituted Italian bread crumbs for the crackers.  The taste is great, now just need to work on the texture.

So tomorrow is the big day...it is TUESDAY!!  Which means it is CSA day!  I am looking forward to seeing what goodies we will get.

Yesterday, we were able to pick some green beans from our own garden.  It wasn't a huge pick yet, but enough for a fairly big pot of them.  I love this part of summer.  But shhhhh, don't tell, it will ruin my winter baby image.  



AND Thank you very much McDonald's for the diet sweet tea!  I love some sweet tea, but it makes me sad when it is full of so much sugar.  NOW you have come to my rescue and made a diet tea with 0 calories.  THANK YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL!! Tell Michael that HIS duty is to keep the grass mowed and the weeds pulled. Then maybe you can get the chips out and some stored away before he can come back in and scarf them down!! On the other side of it all, they are sooooo much healthier than regular chips!!

    ReplyDelete