Friday, February 18, 2011

One Woman's Journey - episode 4

Ruth 2:13
“May I continue to find favor in your eyes, my lord,” she said. “You have put me at ease by speaking kindly to your servant—though I do not have the standing of one of your servants.”

How humbling it must have been for Ruth to say to this man that she was aware she had less standing than one of his servants.  In Ruth's times, the foreigner and the widow were allowed to glean after the servants picked through the fields.  The servants were taken care of by the landowner.  How would I have reacted in such a situation?  I think sometimes we may all find it hard not to exaggerate our standing or falsely boast of where we are.  Ruth showed humility when talking to Boaz.  I imagine this deepened his respect for this hard-working woman.  

Christ humbled himself for us.  Philippians 2:7-8 tells us that He made Himself nothing, became a lowly servant, humbled himself, and was obedient all the way to death.  We know the ending of both of these stories.  Both humble servants were lifted up!  We don't know the ending of our own stories, but Matthew 12 reads, "For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."  It may not be on this earth, but I know that earthly exaltation is not our final prize.  If we humble ourselves, die to ourselves and act as a servant to those around us now, God will exalt us on that day that we find Him on His mercy seat.

Thank you, God, for the ability to serve those around us now.  It is humbling, yet brings so much satisfaction.  Let us continually die to ourselves so that only your glory is shown.  Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve.  It is in your holy name that I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment