Sunday, February 20, 2011

One Woman's Journey - episode 5

Ruth 2:14-16
At mealtime Boaz said to her, "Come over here.  Have some bread and dip it in the wine vinegar."  When she sat down with the harvesters, he offered her some roasted grain.  She ate all she wanted and had some left over.  As she got up to glean, Boaz gave order to his men, "Let her gather among the sheaves and don't reprimand her.  Even pull out some stalks for her from the bundles and leave them for her to pick up, and don't rebuke her."

How incredibly amazing this man of great standing invited Ruth to his table.  It is such an outstanding invitation that I imagine Ruth could hardly fathom it.  Here she was, the lowly of the lowly, beneath the servants, a widowed foreigner from a hated nation.  And yet Boaz extended kindness to her.  The similarities between Boaz and his descendant, King David is striking.  In 2 Samuel 9:1-12, David invited Mephibosheth to his table.  Mephibosheth was Jonathon's (King David's best friend) son.  I invite you to read this story.

Both of these stories bring to mind Leeland's song, Carried to the Table, which I dearly love.  Here are the words to this precious song.

Wounded and forsaken
I was shattered by the fall
Broken and forgotten
Feeling lost and all alone
Summoned by the King
Into the Master’s courts
Lifted by the Savior
And cradled in His arms

I was carried to the table
Seated where I don’t belong
Carried to the table
Swept away by His love
And I don’t see my brokenness anymore
When I’m seated at the table of the Lord
I’m carried to the table
The table of the Lord

Fighting thoughts of fear
And wondering why He called my name
Am I good enough to share this cup
This world has left me lame
Even in my weakness
The Savior called my name
In His Holy presence
I’m healed and unashamed

You carried me, my God
You carried me

If you have never heard this song, I would encourage you to listen to it now (you can find it on YouTube).  It is hauntingly beautiful and just encourages me that even though I am broken and unworthy, Christ will carry us to God's table.  He will heal us, he will save us.  Sinners.  And not only that, but as Boaz did, He will continue to provide.  What an amazing and awesome God is He.  I am humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment