Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Is it enough? pt 1

I have been pondering over the last month what to write in this blog.  I have had my heart set on the question of "Is it enough?" for at least that long, if not longer. I don't know what the question does for you, but it opens a myriad of doubts and deeper questions and dilemmas for me. 

Is it enough that I believe He is God?
Is it enough that I believe He created the universe and everything in it?
Is it enough that I go to church?
Is it enough that I care for a friend when s/he needs help?
Is it enough that I mention church or God or salvation around lost friends?
Is it enough that I don't cuss (or often anyway) and that I don't drink?
Is it enough that I love my children more than my own life?
Is it enough that I gave up my job for my children, hoping that I can teach them the right ways?


No.

It isn't enough.  It will never be enough. 
Every single one of those things is what I ought to be doing because I call myself by His name.  But those good works alone are not sufficient; they are not enough.

Romans 3:23-25: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith.

No matter what I do, it is not enough to save myself.  Only Christ, through His blood and sacrifice, can grant me enough mercy to save me. 

Hebrews 10:10 says, "10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." 

Not through our sacrifice, but through His. 

It is not enough that I believe in God and that He created all things.  James 2:19 reminds us: "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."

The plan for eternity is recorded from the first page to the last page of God's Holy Word.  Not everyone can or will read it from start to finish and no one will ever comprehend its every word.  However, the plan of salvation is simple.

1. John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

2. 1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

3. Romans 10:9-10 - That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord, " and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with you mouth that you confess and are saved.

4. Mark 16:15-16 -  He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

If you aren't already saved by Jesus' atoning sacrifice, what are you waiting for?  We have not been promised tomorrow.  Our lives are but a flash and then they are over.  And He is coming again.  It isn't enough to believe He is Lord.  You must give your life to Him and follow the plan of salvation.  He is waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment