Tuesday, July 24, 2012

London as a Mission Field

I'm not going to lie.  I have been intrigued with London for about as long as I can remember.  So when they said we would be doing a mission trip there during the OLYMPICS, there was really no question about whether I would be going.  I did do the nice wifely thing and ask permission to go, but I don't think it took a lot for him to think about. 

If you know me at all, you know I get VERY.LITTLE.SLEEP. during the Olympics.  Back when the Olympics were better and they had SOFTBALL, Hayley and I would set our alarms to get up at 3:00 a.m. to watch USA Softball take on the world.  And running events??  Track is my fave HS sport (with football and softball a close second/third).  Oh yeah...my DVR is going to be burning up while I am gone.

But why London?  They aren't a third world country.  They don't have scores of starving, half-naked children staring back through our tv screens.  They have clean water.  They have the Bible.  Why London?

Because God sees a need.  He has been working in London for years, and years, and years... He just asked us to meet him there.  To be involved in His kingdom work. 

God is working everywhere.  There have been other mission trips and I have sent two of my children on those trips, but I have always found a reason not to go - first trimester of pregnancy with my LAST child, costs too much, can't afford more than one of us to go at a time, have to fly over water, etc.  Then God said - Rachel, meet me out there.  Where Lord?  In London.  Now He had my attention. 

So Hayley went to India in January, Jake went to El Salvador in July, and I am going to London.  We can afford to send more than one, because if it is His will, He provides the way. 

So why London?  In my life it was to get my attention. 

In the big picture, it is because London is a MAJOR huge city.  And only a very small percentage know God.  Because God is working there in the hearts of people and He wants those of us who know Him to have relationships with those who are learning to know Him so we can encourage them. When Malcolm (one of the Londoners we will be working with) was here in MO a couple of months ago he said only FIVE PERCENT of London's population goes to church. Wikipedia has London metropolitan area as around 14 million.  That means over 13 million people do not go regularly go to church.  That means over 13 million people who God has His eye and His heart on. 

So why London?  Because the world is coming to London.  And God is already there.

Today, 23 of us from the Concord Association will be heading to London, 9 of those from my church.  We felt God prompting us to meet him in London.  He gives each of us the calling to "Go".  For some of us we are to go to third world countries, for some of us we are to go across the street to a hurting neighbor.  But for today, I am to go to London. 

Matthew 28:19-20: Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Acts 1:8: But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

Please remember us in your prayers - that our words and actions are pleasing to Him, that in all we say and do we bring Him glory.

Belinda Ashley
Gene and Diane Eulinger
Steve and Pam Liebi
Mary Schreck
Rachel Traver
Derek Watson
DJ Watson

and the others from Concord.  But most importantly pray that the hearts of those with whom we come into contact will be prepared to hear of God's salvation.

See ya on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment