Friday, August 2, 2013


It's a day 17 years, 10 months, and 16 days in the making and it was. Finally. Here.  Not going to lie, today didn't seem like a spectacular day.  Just any old Friday, except that I had to take J-man to register for his SENIOR year.  Can you believe it?  I am about to have a senior in college, senior in high school, first grader, and preschooler.  Where has the time gone???  But I digress.

17 years, 10 months, and 16 days in the making.  I just didn't know it all that time.  I've only known it for 2 years, 10 months, and 16 days.  And really REALLY known it for 1 year, 10 months, and 16 days. 

Some will think what the heck is the big deal?  Well, I will tell you.

2 years, 10 months, and 16 days ago, Jake turned 15.  I couldn't PAY that kid to get his permit.  We tried and we tried to convince him to do it.  He refused.  He didn't want to fail and just knew he was going to.  7 and a half months later, he finally worked up the courage to go take his test.  We went to JC and he took it.  Hayley and I both sat there so nervous, remembering when she was taking these tests and we were afraid if he didn't pass.  He came to us when it was over and he didn't pass.  We just did not know what to say.  Then the lovely driver test giver outer said he could take it again.  Right then.  So he did and he passed!!  I had no idea at that point that it would take another 2 years and 3 months for him to get a license.

I can't say I'm terribly surprised though.  This kid doesn't want to drive.  He doesn't want to be in the driver seat.  Doesn't have anywhere to go except football practice and school, neither of which he is excited about, so why rush into the license thing?  So we waited.  And waited.  And waited.  He was content in letting me take him places.  He was content being a junior whose mother and step-father dropped him off and picked him up (although usually late picking up).  I seemed to be the only antsy one.

I put my foot down.  I didn't want him to be the only senior whose mama drops him off.  So we tried to work on it more this summer.  He took it once and didn't pass.  But that was okay.  The tester told him something I had been trying to tell him and he listened!  Sometimes you have to hear it from someone else.  We waited four more weeks.  We decided yesterday that today was the day he was going to try it again.  We went over things.  We got ready.  We drove to the school and registered, then drove to city hall.  I think I was more nervous than he was.  I kept thinking if he fails again, what will that do to his motivation and self-esteem?

So we stopped and prayed before he went in.  I asked God to give him peace and wisdom as he took his test.  Not extraordinary wisdom, just the wisdom he had earned.  That God would make what he knew available to him and that he wouldn't freeze up.  We told God what we would like, but said His will is what we prefer.  If it wasn't his time to pass, then we would understand it was His will.

So the littles and I went to the library while Jake took his test.  Then the call came.  I held my breath after I answered.  Then came the words, "I passed."

After running over and congratulating him, raiding Diane Eulinger's M&M stash (she gave him his first congratulatory hug), and getting instructions from the HP tester, we were ready to head out.  We got back in the van (with me driving) and prayed a prayer of thankfulness to God.  It was a great morning.  One that was long in coming, but well worth the wait.  He is more mature than he was at 15, 16, or just turning 17.  He has more experience.  The HP tester gave him a lot of good information about what he still needs to work on.  And in one month and 15 days we will celebrate his 18th birthday.  Wow how time flies.  Unless you are waiting for a license.

No comments:

Post a Comment