Monday, July 16, 2012

Tick...tick...tick

Holy cow.  Where is the time going?  I know I wrote about that last time, but seriously!  There are just 8 days until I leave for London.  So many things to do!  Swimming, painting, playing outside, crafting, hugging on babies (mine and a friend's), going to the park, watching tv, reading books...how am I going to fit it all in?


Well, just going to take it one day at a time.  Last Friday Amberlie and I made countdown chains  - one for her and one for Breckin.  When I leave next Tuesday, they can start breaking off a chain every day and they will know how long until I get home.  Yesterday we made a countdown to kindergarten calendar.  Just 31 days!


She is pretty excited.  I'm not.  Not because my baby girl is getting so big and going to kindergarten.  I went through that in May during summer school.  It is because I will no longer be able to just have her home during the day because I want her there.  I can no longer make fun plans with the kiddos whenever I want.  I will have to plan everything around that six letter word.  I don't want to.  I want her to be home with me in the afternoons when Breckin will be home, so we can go to the Capitol, or go swimming, or go on a park tour. 

Today we are working on her workbook to keep the things she learned in Montessori sharp.  We will be reading books later and running errands.  I am all too aware that in a week, my "summer" is over.  Sure, she won't be going to school when I get back, but it will be so close.  I plan to sleep all day on August 4 and 5.  When I wake up on 8/6, we will be celebrating my dad and my husband's birthday.  Three days later I will be moving my oldest back to Bolivar to start her JUNIOR year.  SAY WHAT?  Then just six short days later - days filled with school shopping, going to bed earlier, and football practices - Jake will be going back for his junior year in high school and the little princess will be going to kindergarten.  YIKES.

So while London is coming up and yes, I am looking forward to it, I am not going to lie...I am not EXCITED for it.  There are so many things to do!  And everything I have mentioned doesn't even include packing, buying items that I need, and preparing my heart and my mind to be used for the King's glory. 

AND THAT is when I realize I have my priorities all wrong.  THAT is when I realize I have allowed my kids to become my "functional gods".  Those things (or people) that I place before my relationship with Christ.  Those things (or people) that I attempt to find satisfaction in and with, rather than seeking only what God can satisfy. 

Exodus 20:3 You shall have no other gods before me.

Isaiah 55:2 Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare.

It is time I get past those worldly things that I cannot control but control me (time, people, busy-ness).  It is time that I re-focus and ensure that God is the God of my life; that He is the author of my faith; that He is in control.  If I can't fit swimming in one more time this summer, is it really that catastrophic?  No.  I have next summer (God-willing).  If I am not prepared to share the Truth and further the Kingdom of God, is it really that catastrophic?  Yes, for that person I failed to talk to or for me, it just might be. 

So while I have only a few days left before I leave for London, I intend to spend time making memories with my little ones.  But I will ensure that while I am molding their lives I am also preparing them and me for Kingdom work.  When I get up in the morning, I don't want to ask - what fun thing can we do today? but I want to ask - how can I reflect God's glory to someone today?

No comments:

Post a Comment